Monday, November 2, 2009

So after the accident ..

So after all that, it took me a whole month before I could do semi normal things, like take a shower, sit up and take a walk. I would get breathless easily after some exertion and moving excessively would cause pain. It took effort to be awake for more then 5 hours at a time. After two whole months from the date of the accident (July for anyone who is counting) I regained most of my physical abilities as before the accident.

I'm not sure, if it's being immobile for so long, or a sudden realization or consciousness that spurred me to start swimming once again. I had learnt it from my brother in 2004 but for some reason quit it when I started working full time after graduating from university.

Anyway, I resolved to start swimming again, so I went to buy swimming trunks, which was another barrier as I felt a little shy trying out for swimming trunks being as overweight as I am. To cut a long story short, I got the trunks and my old goggles and prepared my bag for my swimming debut. I choose a Saturday morning, betting my hunches that Malaysians will be Malaysians and that mornings are best left for sleeping. So here I am, all charged up and ready to go, with my bag and stuff all ready, and as I step out of the house, there was no car. Face with the giving-up-before-starting syndrome that seems to always affect me, I choose the unthinkable alternative.

I choose to walk to the swimming pool. OK granted it is not that far away, approximately 2.25km away. But put it in the context of an overweight, unfit, someone-who-abhors any and all type of physical exertion, it was a miracle that I somehow made it. But something even more miraclous happened. I actually enjoyed it and continued with it for about 2 months.

By this time, I wanted some mid week activity that I could do. I didn't want to swim, because it would always be full and there's nothing worse then breaking your stride by bumping into someone else.

So on the spur of the moment, I decided to go walking. And thence began another journey of mine.

No comments: