Friday, October 30, 2009

Today :-)

Fast forward to today, where I've recovered fully and not only that I've had a passion for fitness. This came from an awareness that there's a lot of life to live. And that there're no shortcuts to life. But the journey itself is wonderful and yields a joy that is available to everyone regardless or race, status, wealth or even talent.

So I resolved that I will not let anything or anyone stand in my way of living a true, full, kind and right life. So my fitness had to improve as it was impacting the way I life and the choices that I could make. I was extremely unfit. I weight 132kg or 270 pounds! I could not climb up a flight of stairs before huffing and puffing that would put the big bad wolf to shame. I had also very little energy and by 8pm, felt like doing nothing.

So the first thing I did was to eat healthier. I'm not interested in losing but in being fit. And I guess losing weight is a part of being fit but, there's a point in this(besides being fussy), and the point being that my goal is fitness. And that calls for a lifestyle change. A choice, if you must, to make the right decisions or good decisions. A chance to revamp my philosophy, or to test it and realign it back to what I believe and an opportunity to learn how to live what I believe. I don't believe in diets as the goal of a dieter is to hit a weight target. Then what? Back and forth?


My goal is to be fit enough that I may then have the choice of doing what I want in my pursuit of a full life. So I went to learn and read about our body and what it needs and what nutrition is and so on and found out about some interesting things. I learnt that the food pyramid we were thought when young is not true. A healthy food pyramid which was introduced by the Harvard School of Medicine, based upon our current understanding of the human body, looks like this now. You can get more information about the healthy food pyramid here.

And then my close friend taught and introduced me to the glysemic index study. Basically the idea is that hormon levels are responsible for our health and moods and that we need a wholistic way of looking at the human needs instead. And certain food affects us in certain ways. So I incorporated this in my diet as well. You can get information about the glycemic diet here.

Next I will write about how I got into my exercise stuff :)

No comments: